The Day I Decided to Feel Well

It's amazing what a difference food can make. When we eat healthy foods, we feel energized and well. When we choose junky foods, we feel sick, tired and demotivated.

Eat well, feel well. Eat bad, feel bad.

Hmmm.

It took me a long time to really figure that out, and even longer to decide I wanted to feel well.

When I was about 30, I'd already worked for a wellness doctor for a few years, but I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle. I ate too many carbs, wasn't active enough, and didn't get outdoors enough. As a result I was tired in the morning, so I drank coffee. I was tired mid morning and after lunch so I took way too many vitamins and drank more coffee. The coffee and vitamins helped, but at the end of the day I felt stressed, tense and sad. I was zombie tired, had headaches and neck problems, mental fatigue, and I was just....beside myself with not feeling well. It was even hard to sit up at my desk rather than slouch (which is not like me- I'm usually a sit up straight and go get the day type of girl). There were days I probably drank 4-5 cups of coffee. Yikes.  I chalked it up to having two small kids, a busy schedule and little time to workout or cook healthy meals. I was working at a wellness center.....and not feeling well. I felt inconsistent.  I always felt like I was on the verge of being sick. I was defensive, dramatic, overly emotional and I worried a lot. I started to pray for help. I prayed for more energy, a friend who understood, for wisdom and the motivation to change.

Then one day, my friend, Sally, came into my office and changed everything. 

She asked me what was wrong, and I just swiveled around in my chair, looked at her, and said...."something has to change Sally. I just don't feel good".

Sally did not comment or judge. She said "ok, Tressa, first things first. You and I are going to eat raw vegan 3 days a week, and I want you to find a way to workout, or just take walks regularly". I agreed to do my best, and that was that. We were both committed to what we called the "Raw Revolution".

Fast forward to a few weeks later, and I was a different person. I was eating raw vegan 2 days a week (apparently 3 days was too much for me at that point). My husband and I had gone out and bought an elliptical and I was working out 5 days a week. I also ate healthier lunches (almost always a salad) and took walks at lunch. For the first time in several years I had amazing energy, not just in the morning, but even at 6 or 7 pm. I used to sit in the evening in our bed with a heating pad on my neck to ease the tension, almost in tears with fatigue, falling asleep trying to read Bible passages. Now I was cooking dinner for our family, playing with out girls, and having meaningful conversations with my husband. I was able to read the Bible early in the morning because I was waking up early.

Working out certainly helped, but I really think the nutrition changed me. I was being intentional with what I ate; only eating foods to fuel my day, rather than just foods that sounded good. I realized that too much protein from meat was a drag on my digestion and was causing low energy. I realized I needed meat, but in smaller amounts. I needed water, fruits, veggies, healthy fats and legumes much more. As a result I felt fueled and fired up to experience my day. From that point on I had more success at work, started to write a weekly blog about our family, and went on to become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist. I was hooked! I finally could feel and see the connection between healthy foods and feeling well. I realized that to feel well, you have to decide every day that you want to feel well. 

Salad, Cooking, Board, Food, Healthy

Fast forward to today, I was able to retire from my day job, but I maintain my certification so that I can help other people who are ready to change. Not everyone is ready to make healthy changes, but when you are, let me know. I offer nutrition support at a fair price, and I think you will love the results. You can email me at: tressa.knapp@gmail.com

Cheers to healthy lifestyle changes and the beautiful lives that come about as a result. I thank God for sending Sally into my life, and I hope you find the right friend to help you, too.




Comments

Contact The Nutritionist for More Information or to book an appointment

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts