Training for my first Marathon


Yes I know I look tired. I am! I'm training for my first full marathon attempt. It's in 4 weeks (March 2 2024) and I may never do this again, so here's a few thoughts. 

First let's talk about why one would even want to run a marathon. Yes, I'm a nutritionist so I do tend to feel good most of the time, have great energy and am ambitious, so I think my family wasn't shocked that I wanted to try a full. I ran a half marathon last spring, slowly, and afterwards wasn't sure I'd even want to do another half marathon again, but then recovered and felt like I could do better. I realized I trained up to 15 miles for the half marathon, which is only 5 miles away from training up for a full marathon. Then I felt all motivated and started thinking about it more. I imagined that marathon training would be 60% mental, and I do tend to be really stubborn and focused, so I thought I might be good at that part. My boss was willing to sponsor my marathon fee (thank you Angelica!!). My family was on board with all the training I'd have to do. A friend said she would train with me. (CINDY you are the BEST). So I signed up and started base training at 20 miles a week to get ready to start marathon training. 

My actual marathon training started on November 1, so I've been at it for about 3 months now. Just 1 more to go. I'm averaging 35 or 40 miles a week. I think I will peak around 45 or 48 miles. Yes, ouch. However, it's not as bad as you'd think. Most of the miles are easy pace and give me time to clear my mind. Cindy has run with me as often as possible and has been so important for keeping me focused, motivated and on target. Her husband, Brian, created a training plan for me that's helped me make great progress. 

But I will say.....

Marathon training is definitely a thing. My friend has run multiple marathons and she has a coffee mug with "I can't- I'm training for a marathon" or something like that. When I saw the picture of it she shared on Facebook, I was like, haha, that's funny and I'm sure it's mostly true, too. Believe me when I tell you it's SO TRUE. You litterally have no time for anything else except the bare essentials. 

Here's my life. 

Eat, sleep, run, family, church, work. Repeat. 

Would you like to go shopping? I'm sorry I can't. I am training for a marathon. 

Would you like to come to my _______ party? (fill in the blank, any type of party- baby shower, birthday, anniversary, Garden party, color party, going away, Pampered chef). I'm sorry I can't. I am training for a marathon. 

Would you be available to help me do something helpful for another person? I'm sorry I can't. I am training for a marathon. (this one is the hardest!!)

Would you like to travel? Sleep longer? Sit at a cafe and just rest your feet? Plant a garden? Do the dishes? .....no sorry I can't

I'm litterally running all the time. 

If I'm not running I'm sleeping or eating or trying to push fluids. I have done about 4 weeks so far of running over 40 miles a week. Yes, that's right. A person can live through this. You won't necessarily be living your best life, unless you love to run, but you can technically survive it. That's been my biggest lesson so far. 

I can do INSANELY hard things that I NEVER thought I could or would want to do. I am strong. I can stick to a difficult plan. I can push myself and achieve what I never thought possible. I'm also learning that my family can survive if I'm not here at the house every waking minute. They want me to be healthy and have fun. Thankfully, yes, I do love running so my time on the roads is enjoyable for me. Music has been clutch to helping me stay focused and motivated during the harder miles. 

For now, this achievement is limited to just running a lot. Hopefully soon the training will blossom into actually finishing this marathon. Lord willing. 

Comments

Contact The Nutritionist for More Information or to book an appointment

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts