Running a Full Marathon- 26.2 miles!

For every 1000 full marathon registrants, about 850 people make it to the starting line and about 700 people actually finish. The training takes about 16 weeks on average of 35-40 miles a week. It's a test of endurance, fortitude and passion. 

It's surreal... but I can say I finished a full marathon! After 17 weeks of training, I ran and finished The Woodlands Marathon on March 2, 2024. It was warm and humid which makes a full marathon more challenging, but I did it. God is good! I won't say the finish line was magical. It was more of a relief, but the entire experience WAS magical. After the sore muscled healed and I was somewhat recovered I felt transformed into another person. 

Stronger. More confident. Dedicated. 

Here's how the day went....

After not sleeping at all (nerves!) and getting out of bed at 4am, I got to the starting line early at about 6:15 with plenty of time to stretch and go to the bathroom. The race started promptly at 6:50. On the way to the starting line I walked by the medical tent and saw all the hospital beds lined up, ready to assist runners who overheated or over exerted themselves. This was definitely unique to a marathon race. It was a good reminder of the importance of staying healthy during marathon training and during the race itself. If you aren't careful (too low energy, not hydrated, not good nutrition, not well trained) you could injure yourself.  I had fuctional medicine on my side. I never got sick during training. I never had a serious injury either. Safety was important. I just prayed that today would be no different. 

Before we knew it, after finding the right corral, a few selfies and taking it all in, there was the national anthem and then the gunshot for the race to start. 

Miles 1-5 were warm but easy.  After about 6 miles my left knee was  starting to bother me, so that took energy to run through. Miles 8-12 were my favorite. Great energy, strength and felt good. Then my husband was there cheering at mile 12, which alerted me to a turn that I might have missed if he wasn't right there at that corner. Miles 15 and 16 took more out of me than I had planned for. My friend Cindy jumped in at mile 16 which was a lifesaver. I was fueling and hydrating but started cramping due to heat. This is when I still had 10 more miles to go but I already felt spent. I took a walk break finally at about mile 16 to catch my breath. This helped the cramps subside. 

By the time I got to mile 20 I felt more positive, in that I was farther along. My husband was at mile 20 waiting for me for encouragement and an electrolyte refill. We chose Liquid IV due to the high sodium content. Normally you would want to be careful with sodium, but during a marathon in the heat, more is better.  The cramps stopped and I just kept taking on fuel and drinking my water. I felt mentally spent but physically I felt like I could still keep going. Thank goodness I felt like I didn't have any pulled muscles or injuries at that point. 

By mile 23 you can say I hit a wall. I didn't care about time goals. Mentally I was done. In order to finish, I dug deep and was willing to keep moving forward, because I did NOT want to quit, but I had a really hard time running. I walked about half the time from miles 23-26 and there were not enough water stops, which frustrated me. I got cranky and didn't take the last fuel that I realize now I needed so much.  Cindy was running with me and this is where I may have quit if she wasn't there, helping me through. By the time I hobbled to mile 25 or so I was much more encouraged that the finish line was coming soon but then had to mostly walk. 

Here's the best way I can describe the pain of miles 25, 26 and 27 (the race was 26.6 miles) in the heat. I had cramps. I was completely exhausted. This makes your body feel heavier. My feet were past the point of sharp pain and went numb. This scared be because I thought it could be a sign I was about to pass out. I was light headed and could not think straight. I couldn't see my fit bit due to the humidity and angle of the sunlight, and I didn't have the energy to pull my phone out of my pocket so I had no idea what mile I was at unless someone told me. My calves and quads were completely cramped. I was losing my balance. THIS is where you aren't sure if you can finish, even if you wanted to or were willing to keep going, your body can shut down. Every step hurts more. You know you are pushing your body to it's limits and it's you versus these last 800 meters or so. You just keep pushing and asking your body to go a few more steps. 

You don't finish a marathon with your muscles, lungs, brain or even your strategy. That's all how you get to the starting line. The finish line comes from your heart and the grace of God. Good friends help, too. 

Next Spring I think I hear a half marathon calling my name, but I will never...ever forget the glorious day I finished the full. 

Do hard things. Push for what you want and invite God in your life every step of the way. He will guide and strengthen your steps because He is faithful. 



Comments

Contact The Nutritionist for More Information or to book an appointment

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts