The Case for Running

 

Just a few days ago, I was telling a friend that running makes my legs sore (sometimes), and she said something that caught my attention. She said "well, you aren't making a very good case for me to start running!". I thought about it, and she's right. I haven't made any type of case about running....to anyone...until today. Here, my friends, is the case for running. I'll put it in the form of 7 benefits. Enjoy!

1. Heart health. Running on a regular basis (30 minutes five times a week) helps reduce risk of heart disease by 30-50%.  Running also helps normalize cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure. If you are a runner you know why. Your heart is a muscle, and it gets a great workout every time you run. It gets stronger, more efficient and more reliable. Heart disease is one of the top causes of death in the US. In 2020 it was the leading cause of death OVERALL with 696,000 deaths. So basically, if you want to live longer....start running!

2. Weight loss. I know from personal experience how hard weight loss is, especially after 40. I gained about 15 pounds from 39 to 41. Yes, the pandemic played a role in that. But, like magic, when I added running into my workout regimen....the weight started falling off. Having a healthy weight is important because it lowers risk factors for diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Fat tends to store toxicity, so reducing it to a healthy level is ideal.

3. Stress relief. The pandemic has increased stress for most of us. Finances may be tighter. Family members may be sick, or the expectations at work may be higher. Whatever stresses you are facing, the tension you battle can melt away on a daily run. Interestingly, you don't have to run that far either. The max benefits of jogging would be about 30 minutes a day, which would just be 2-3 miles. So, you don't have to be a marathoner to get the max benefits. 

4. Digestion. Any runner will tell you that if you have digestion issues, go for a jog...or at least a fast walk. Exercise helps with digestion and regularity so much. (drinking enough water helps too!)

5. ENERGY! Your first few jogs may be a little rough, but "if you can take it, you can make it" (right?). Once you build up just the slightest cardio fitness, you will soon experience an energy boost after running that is unlike any other workout. It even has a name- runner's high!

6. Friends. Once you start running and it becomes more like a hobby, soon find your "running friends". These are the friends you can talk to about your new PB, your most recent mileage and pace, and all your goals for your next race. You train with them and sometimes you race with them. It's super fun. 

7. Carbs.  This may be the selling point for some of you. The more you run, the more carbs you can eat. You will litterally HAVE to eat enough carbs to fuel a run and then to recover fully. Yes, protein and fats are important too. Let's just say "food". Once you are running 3-4 miles at a time you can eat more of what you want. I enjoy being able to occationally have a burger or fries, if I want it. I try to only do this after a long run, and I try to pick either the burger or the fries (not both), but before I started running I didn't usually eat either of these foods. 

I know running is not for everyone, but I wanted to make a case for running, because it is for someone. I didn't think it was for me, but after doing just one 5k I was hooked. If you are interested, I recommend reading the running blogs like Nike fitness or Fleet Feet. Sign up for a 5k. Find a running buddy. Fuel your runs as best you can (do NOT try to start running while you are doing intermittent fasting!!). And most importantly.....enjoy!!

By the way, my legs have been sore lately because I'm training up to a 10k. I'm going faster and farther so my legs are just adjusting. Wish me luck!


Comments

Contact The Nutritionist for More Information or to book an appointment

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts